by Karen S. Matthias-Long

by Karen S. Matthias-Long

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Peace

December 3
Peace

Sometimes peace doesn't come in the quiet. In fact, being in a quiet place can sometimes be downright disconcerting.

When I had to think of "peace," the first thought that came to my mind was how at peace I felt by getting some work accomplished around the house. That explains the photograph of the list which I took for today's word. I'm not one to keep lists, but knowing that I was getting some tasks completed where I could actually see the results of those tasks felt very calming. I felt at peace at the end of the day.

Peace is not always quiet or being still. Peace often means work.

It is said there can be no peace without justice. Justice takes intentional work. We don't have to look far to see so many injustices in our world. For example, at the present time, the top 1% of the US population owns 38% of the financial wealth in America while the bottom 60% percent owns 2.3% of the wealth in America. That's hardly just. Looking at the distribution of wealth in the whole world is equally obscene.

Jesus is often referred to as the "Prince of Peace," and the only way that title makes sense for me is knowing how Jesus worked for justice, knowing that peace and justice go hand in hand.

Where are the places where justice is lacking today? How is God calling me to work for peace in those situations? What behaviors do I need to change?

No comments:

Post a Comment