by Karen S. Matthias-Long

by Karen S. Matthias-Long

Friday, December 6, 2013

Awake


December 6
Awake

I am of a certain age
Where it is way too easy
 To move through life mindlessly.
Old habits are written into my DNA
Just as my eye color, or gender, or the shape of my ears:
I don't think about any of them.
They just are.

Advent is my wake up call
To be mindfully present in each moment,
Even in the daily rituals that I take for granted.
Awake is to pay attention to the subtle details:
Hearing the sound of coffee pouring into my mug
Feeling cold granite flooring under my feet,
Seeing every line and expression on my lover's face
Being mindful enough to
Thank God for this amazing gift
Life.

What am I missing? What needs my attention? Where is God calling me to be mindfully present?








No comments:

Post a Comment