by Karen S. Matthias-Long

by Karen S. Matthias-Long

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Storm

Today I am moved by the words to this hymn, #703 in the Evangelical Book of Worship.(I am surprised to see that the text is by Marty Haugen!)

There are storms in our lives and at times we wonder if God even listens, if God even cares. Again, I am reminded of the cross - and how God not only listens, but experiences our pain, walking with us through the pain to the other side.


O GOD, WHY ARE YOU SILENT?

O God, why are you silent? I cannot hear your voice;
the proud and strong and violent by life's relentless storm;
you promised you would hold me with tenderness and care.
Draw near, O Love, enfold me, and ease the pain I bear.

My hope lies bruised and battered, my wounded heart is torn;
my spirit spent and shattered by life's relentless storm;
will you not bend to hear me, my cries from deep within?
Have you no word to cheer me when night is closing in?

Through endless nights of weeping, through weary days of grief,
my heart is in your keeping, my comfort, my relief.
Come, share my tears and sadness, come, suffer in my pain,
oh, bring me home to gladness, restore my hope again.

May pain draw forth compassion, let wisdom rise from loss;
oh, take my heart and fashion the image of your cross;
then may I know your healing through healing that I share,
your grace and love revealing, your tenderness and care.


No comments:

Post a Comment