by Karen S. Matthias-Long

by Karen S. Matthias-Long

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Judas

Then one of the twelve, who was called Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, "What will you give me if I betray him to you?" They paid him thirty pieces of silver. Matthew 26:14-15


When Judas, his betrayer, saw that Jesus was condemned, he repented and brought back the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders. He said, "I have sinned by betraying innocent blood." Matthew 27:3-4

What possessed you,
Strange man?
One minute a follower,
A friend
Someone who walked
The same path
Told stories, laughed, cried.
Shared meals together on the road
Traveling from town to town.
Witnessed miracles
And heard wondrous
Stories about the kingdom.

    Was it not enough?
    Did the rabbi fail to meet your expectations?
    Or did you sense
    The growing dis-ease of the local leaders?
    Was it fear that drove you?

I know you
You are in me
During times
When I should have confronted those with power
Instead of giving into it -
Those life circumstances when I was complicit
In an obvious injustice
Because it was less of an annoyance
Than taking a stand -
Moments when it took less effort, frankly, 
To go along with the status quo.
And the bottom line:
Sometimes it is just easier to find
A scapegoat.

It is fear and then the guilt:
Watching an innocent
Fall victim
To a horrible betrayal.
It is not enough to say,
I am sorry.

    How amazing these words, then:
    Take, eat; this is my body...
    Drink - this is my blood of the covenant -
    Poured out for the
    Forgiveness
    The wondrous forgiveness
    Of sins.
    For you.
    For me.

    How can it be?
    How can it be?

No comments:

Post a Comment