by Karen S. Matthias-Long

by Karen S. Matthias-Long

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Story

"Then how were your eyes opened?" He answered, "The man called Jesus...."

"What do you say about him? It was your eyes he opened."  He said, "He is a prophet...."

 "Here is an astonishing thing!  You do not know where he comes from, yet he opened your eyes." ..."If this man were not from God, he could do nothing..."

"And who is he, sir? Tell me, so that I may believe in him." Jesus said to him, "You have seen him, and the one speaking with you is he." He said, "Lord, I believe."
(from John 9:1-41)

Nothing original to post today! Just a couple ideas I took away from today's sermon:
  1. There are two miracles in this story from John. The first is that Jesus heals the blind man. His vision is restored. The second is that as the man repeats his story, he comes to faith and his eyes are opened a second time.  The first time this person tells about how he is healed,  he says it is a  man who has healed him; then he calls him a prophet the next time he responds to inquiries; when he is asked a third time about his healing, he knows that the one who has healed him is "from God;" and, when Jesus finally asks him a question - the man recognizes who Jesus for who he is and says "I believe. Telling his story changed him. His eyes were opened a second time. Telling our faith stories changes us!
  2. I think this is an interesting observation: Jesus heals the blind man by taking dirt (with which we were originally made) and adds water (how we are made a new creation) to make mud which is applied to the man's eyes to give him sight.
You NEED to tell your story. I NEED to tell my story.
(I can't wait to hear yours!)

No comments:

Post a Comment