by Karen S. Matthias-Long

by Karen S. Matthias-Long

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Prayers for a Hungry World: On the Starting Block

My original plan today was to dive into the first prayer, starting with the letter "A," but as I drove to work this morning, two thoughts occurred to me. What follows are my reflections on them. This particular blog entry could be compared to standing on the starting block - mentally preparing - before taking a plunge into the pool.

My son Joshua - and seekers in general - inspired my first reflection. It is this:  Not everyone prays to Jesus. Also, many of us have ways of calling on God that change day by day, moment by moment. Holy One, Merciful and Forgiving God, God of Justice, Allah, Abba, Divine One, Imma, Loving Parent, Gracious God, and Holy Spirit are just a few in a long list of ways people address God.

This led to my recollection of a story I recently heard concerning a Missouri Synod Lutheran pastor (not a pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America - the church body of which I am a part - for those unfamiliar with the variety of  Lutherans "out there") who was reprimanded by the leader of his denomination for participating in a prayer service for victims of the Sandy Hook school massacre. Missouri Synod Lutherans simply "do not pray well with others." In my opinion, they have reduced God to fit into their little box of what they think God should be like. But, the love of God cannot be restrained or manipulated by any of us.

These two thoughts led to some questions: Why put up roadblocks to prayer by telling people how they should address God or by telling them with whom they can or cannot pray?  Is there a way for us to pray  with those of other faiths in a way that honors all traditions? I once prayed the Lord's Prayer in a setting where everyone prayed in their own native tongue and for those who prayed in English some used the "traditional version" while others used the more "contemporary" version. Somehow we all managed to start and end at the same time. It was a powerfully moving experience for me. I think the same could be done by starting our prayers with whatever word we choose to use for God followed by supplications common to all of us. And, finally,  here is a wondering question I have: How would our world be different if we took time to pray every day for everyone?

My original plan was to begin each chapter of  "Prayers for a Hungry World"  with "Jesus Christ" followed by the verb and then "us." But, God is bigger than any name we would choose to call God. Now, I see how limiting that is. I leave the decision on how to address to God to the reader and so, my chapters will begin only with a verb.

A final suggestion before we dive off the starting block and into the pool together: Keep it simple. When repeating a mantra, I like to keep the whole prayer to six or seven syllables and that seems to flow nicely with my breathing in - and breathing out.

And now, let US pray...




1 comment:

  1. Amen! Well said :) I think I have found my new Lenten practice and hopefully one that will last much, much longer.

    ReplyDelete