by Karen S. Matthias-Long

by Karen S. Matthias-Long

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Breathe in Us

A perfect photograph for a post titled "Breathe" might have been that wisp of air flowing out of someone's mouth - someone's breath - on a cold day such as the one we have today.

But, I returned moments ago from "Conversations with the Bishop," a gathering specifically for young people for the purpose of engaging in dialogue with the bishop about faith. I think it is safe to say that everyone of us felt a Holy Breath moving, breathing through all of us. I had goosebumps more than once. The photograph I'm using for "Breathe" is of the group that met today - a perfect picture for "Breathe."

I breathe -
I feel the breath move into the depth of my being as I inhale
Down, down through my whole body,
And feel its power expelled as I exhale,
Sending it out on words, songs, laughter, sighs, prayer
A continuous cycle, bringing life in and sending life out.

Together we breathe -
Holy breath swirling, growing, dancing in and through us
In stories that would make you weep for joy
In actions that speak louder than words

Breathe in us this day,
Make our breath holy.


 ~ With thanks to Ashley, Emily, Sam, Garrett, Bruce, Autumn, Matt, Colleen, Laraine, Meeghan and Kristin

[Other "B" words for prayer: blesses us, birthed in us...what are your "b" words?]

No comments:

Post a Comment