by Karen S. Matthias-Long

by Karen S. Matthias-Long

Friday, March 16, 2012

Neighborhood Prayer

 "May my neighbors in this house
Experience joy today ~
And may their joy
Point the way back to you
O God!"

When I walked by your house today, this is the prayer I prayed.

I don't know where this came from on
    such a foggy day ~
       this prayer for joy in the midst of the mist.

Happiness is shallow and passes quickly
   Like the spring deluges that send rivers of water down the street
      Too fast to go deep, deep into the earth
         Travelling, instead to sewer drains.

But, joy is deep - even in the midst of sorrows and pain
   It lies in wait, ready to rise or bubble up every now and then
      More like the steady rain - or the mists of fog -
          That fall gently and deeply into the earth.

I pray for my conservative neighbor who thinks might makes right,
The neighbor who is hustling his children out the door so they get to school on time,
The one who is lying in a sick bed in her home, awaiting death's call,
The mother who has so many balls juggling that she barely has time to take a breath,
The person in the car who drove by just now,
Those air conditioner installers who just pulled up in front of that home,
The people I might not like, the people I could like
The people I know, the people I don't know
Suffering Syrians and those from Afghanistan
Soldiers and peace makers
Israelis and Palestinians
One percenters and ninety-nine percenters
The agnostic neighbor, the biblical literalists
Old and young, doubters and believers
This is my prayer today ~

May my neighbors in this world
Experience JOY this day ~
And may their joy
Point the way
Back to you, O God!



         

No comments:

Post a Comment